Dodge & Cox Stock Pitch Competition
WITG is hosting a stock competition with Dodge & Cox Funds. First round submissions are due March 18, 2018 at 11:59PM, Final Round Submissions will be due on March 29, 2018 and Final Presentations will be on April 2, 2018 from 6-9PM. The company presentation and information session will be on April 3, 2018 from 7-8PM.
The purpose of the competition is to foster appreciation for long-term investing in public equities.
Teams of up to four students should select an equity security that they believe has the greatest potential for price appreciation over the next three-to-five years. Given that:
- The company can be domiciled anywhere around the world, but must have a market capitalization of at least US$3 billion.
- Use discretion around special situations such as emerging market companies without current English financials or short-term trading ideas, but feel free to consider growth companies with reasonable valuations.
- Teams will be judged on their quality of research and analysis, presentation skills, and investment judgment.
Finalist teams will have the opportunity to present their work to and receive feedback from Dodge & Cox investment professionals. Each member of the three finalist teams graduating in either December 2018 or May 2019 will receive the opportunity to interview for a summer internship position at Dodge & Cox. The winning team will receive a cash prize of $1,500.
Open to sophomores and juniors with a strong interest in public equity investing.
Teams should designate a Team Captain as a primary contact. Register by sending your team name, the names, email addresses, and resumes of all participants, and the mobile phone number of the Team Captain to email@example.com. Please make the subject line of the email "[Dodge & Cox] Your_Team_Name Registration". Teams may also choose to send in their resumes individually using similar notation in the subject line.
First Round Guidelines
Prepare a two-page summary in PDF format of your thesis, analysis, and a preliminary investment recommendation. The summary should be analytic/predictive rather than descriptive. Feel free to use bullet points whenever appropriate.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Summary of the investment thesis and recommendation
- Clear understanding of the business model and industry dynamics
- Key drivers of future profitability with supporting analysis
- Framework for assessing valuation over a three-to-five year time horizon
- Next steps for further analyses that you would do to either strengthen or refute your thesis
SAMPLE FORMAT (USE WITH DISCRETION)
- Brief statement of thesis and recommendation
- 1/3 page overview of the business and industry
- 1 page analysis of key profitability drivers
- 1/3 page valuation analysis
- Brief statement of next steps